1 lb dry red kidney beans
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 bay leaves
1 14oz can Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk (regular, organic or lite)
1 tbsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 link hot smoked sausage, sliced (optional)
*You will need a slow cooker for this
- Pour beans in a container and let it soak in cold water overnight. The next day you will see that your beans would have plumped significantly
- Pour out the soaking water and rinse beans under cold running water
- Place beans in your slow cooker and pour in enough water to just cover the beans
- Add the crushed garlic and 2 bay leaves
- Adjust your slow cooker setting to high. Cover and let cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, your beans should be soft enough that you can smash them between your fingers. Add 1 tbsps creole seasoning, 1 tsp black pepper and pour in the entire can of coconut milk. If you opt to use the hot smoked sausage, add the slices at this time.
- Cover and adjust your cooker settings to low. Cook for another 3 hours or until thick and creamy.
- Garnish with bay leaves and serve.
At this time you may adjust your seasonings to taste. I like my beans spicy so I tend to go heavier with the creole seasoning if I'm making this dish just for me or persons who like spicy foods. If spicy is not your thing, the 2 table spoons will suffice.
You may serve as a side by itself, mixed with rice or with a scoop of rice on top in typical New Orleans style.