2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 habanero peppers
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 large limes, juiced
4 green onions
2 tbsp bourbon whiskey
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp thyme leaves
4 dashes ground cinnamon
4 dashes allspice
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp molasses
Salt and pepper to taste
Please Please PLEASE DO NOT use your naked hands on habanero peppers!! Use gloves and probably some glasses to protect your eyes. I cut the tops of both habaneros and chopped them in a food chopper so my hands, nose and eyes were protected the whole time. If you have a food chopper, USE IT!
Preparation for sauce
In a blender, pour in vinegar, lime juice, bourbon whiskey, extra virgin olive oil, molasses, red onion, green onion, red bell pepper, habanero peppers, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse until mixture is thoroughly blended and smooth.
|Homemade Jerk Sauce|
Preparation for chicken
- Clean chicken with cool water and lime juice.
- Pat dry with single use paper towel and place in a deep container.
- Using a knife, poke holes into each thigh
- Pour ample amounts of jerk sauce over chicken making sure each thigh is well coated
- Cover container and marinate in refrigerator overnight
You should have jerk sauce left over so you should refrigerate the remainder as well.
When you're ready to cook, preheat your oven to 350F
6. Place the chicken thighs on a baking sheet lined with foil (makes for easy clean up)
7. Pour excess sauce from container over the chicken thighs and roast in the oven for about 1 hour
or until chicken is fall off the bone tender.
8. Bring to a boil the remainder of your jerk sauce to serve with chicken.
The juices should run clear when you insert a knife into the meat. Cut each thigh into two pieces and serve with rice and peas or with white rice.
You may follow this recipe and grill your chicken instead of baking. This is great on an outdoor grill!