1 lb ground pork
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tsp adobo con pimiento
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp all spice
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup red wine (merlot)
1/2 cup guava pulp
2 packs Goya empanada discs
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Preheat oven to 350F
Preparation for filling
- In a large pan, heat oil and butter. Add onions, then sugar and sauté until onion is light brown.
- Add ground pork and use a wooden spoon to crumble while cooking, until meat is no longer pink
- Add seasoning (adobo, paprika, allspice, black pepper)
- Pour in wine and add guava.
- Stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat
And to put it all together
- Spread empanada discs on a flat surface and place 2 tsps of filling in the center of the disc.
- Fold disc over forming a half circle and seal sides with a fork
- Arrange on a greased baking sheet and brush egg wash on each empanada. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F
Empanadas are typically fried in medium hot until golden brown. Baking is a healthier option
This recipe yields 20 empanadas.