2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
20 oz Sweet lean Italian Turkey sausage
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 poblano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cup water
28 oz diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans no-salt added black beans
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 tbsp water
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Swirl to coat pan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Remove turkey sausage from casing and add to pan.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, Cajun seasoning, poblanos and bay leaves.
- Keep stirring to crumble sausage and cook until sausage is brown.
- Pour in water, then add beans and tomatoes. Stir mixture then bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until mixture becomes slightly thickened.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk water and flour to form a slurry then add to pan
- Stir to mix thoroughly then cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat then stir in chopped green peppers
- Add black pepper if desired
- Remove bay leaves before serving
Serve hot with corn bread